Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Patient As Job Was

'He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly. (proverbs 14:29

   Job is a great example of patience. The Lord had given Satan permission to tempt Job. Job lost everything that he had owned and loved. His children were killed and he lost his land and all of his possessions. On top of that he was given boils, but Job sinned not. Instead he praised the Lord.


How often do we hear oppressed souls ask foolishly, “How could God do this to me?” when really they should be praying for strength to “beareth” and “endureth all things.”-   Robert C. Oaks

   Often people blame Heavenly Father for things that they been through or things that they have had happen to them. Many times we dont  think of how He has helped us. 'He sometimes, calms the storm, but other times, He calms the child to endure through the storm.'-(unkown author)
   I had this scripture read to me once to help explain to me, that Job lost everything and yet he was still faithful. What would cause our faith to diminish in such circumstances? Why do we not turn to God in times like these?

(D&C 121:7-8)
" My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.
 10 Thou art not yet as Job; thy friends do not contend against thee, neither charge thee with transgression, as they did Job.
 11 And they who do charge thee with transgression, their hope shall be blasted, and their prospects shall melt away as the hoar frost melteth before the burning rays of the rising sun"

   We have not been as Job was. We have our family and friends to support us and to help lead us and guide us. Patience is how we are able to endure through our trials and our tribulations. Times do get tough, but how else are we to learn if there was no opposition at all?  Our Heavenly Father will not give us anything that we arent able to handle. He knows us and He loves us. As He said, '...Peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment..'

(Alma 31:31)
31 O Lord, my heart is exceedingly sorrowful; wilt thou comfort my soul in Christ. O Lord, wilt thou grant unto me that I may have strength, that I may suffer with patience these afflictions which shall come upon me, because of the iniquity of this people.

   We should ask for strength so that we will be able to endure through our trials. Patience is a way for us to be able to cope with our trials and our dealings. Our Heavenly Father is always watching over us and will never leave us. He will help us by either calming the storm OR calming the child. I testify that our Father who is in Heaven is always watching us and knows the BEST ways to help us. Job sinned not even though He went through many trials because he knew that all will work out for his good. He knew that the Lord was still with him and watching him. Let us be like as Job was and turn to our Father in Heaven and ask for the strength and patience to endure our trials. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us and I know that He is always there for us.

1 comment:

  1. I love the story of Job. However, I am cautious about asking for strength, I just might get it. That has always translated into a bigger challenge and in the end I say, "Wow, I didn't know I had the strength to endure that incredible challenge for 3 years." I do believe the Lord loves us and wants us to become like him so we are tried and tested. Job is an excellent example for me to follow. Simply put- remain loyal to the Lord!

    ReplyDelete